Thursday, January 5, 2012

Come on Baby, Light My Fire

Ah Jim Morrison, or Uncle Jim as I like to call him since we once shared the same last name.  I would even sometimes convince classmates that he was my actual uncle, mainly because I could mourn his loss as if we were truly flesh and blood.  "Poor, poor Uncle Jim" I would say with tears welling up...  but I digress, as I often do.

This isn't about (Uncle) Jim, it's about fire.  Well, it's not really even about fire.   What is this about?  Well, okay, maybe fire a little.  Because I am fascinated it by it.  Not as in I am going to torch this place any second, more like, "wow, fire is cool."  Let's be honest, it's really neat to just watch a fire burn in the fireplace, right?  Well, for me it is, and always has been, don't judge.  I think it is this interest in fire that, ahem, sparked my desire to collect matches.  I swear I must have still been in middle school when I started my collection.  And it probably didn't hurt that it was around that time I had Beavis and Butthead on MTV every week reminding me how cool fire is (but only when I babysat or we went on vacation, since we didn't have cable growing up).  There I go digressing again.

The point is, I have been collecting matches for quite some time.  At just about every restaurant (or hotel or gas station) I'd go to from age 13 until now, I make sure to look for or even ask if they have matches, and if so could I have a book of them.  As my collection grew, I realized what a neat way it was to document all of my travels, experiences, and gas fill-ups.  But not so much lately, why is that?  Well in 2007, I had just moved to Baltimore when smoking was banned in bars and restaurants.  A funny thing happens when there's no more smoking at a restaurant, there's no more need for matches.  I've since noticed that hardly any place has branded matches these days, except for the occasional steak house, and the most recent matchbook I picked up was in Vegas last summer (where you can still smoke in a bar, go figure). 

So it has been for some time now that my collection really hasn't grow too much, and I have had more time to think about what would best way to actually put it on display (each and every day, every day, every day.) Darn you Melissa Gorga for haunting my thoughts!

Most of my matches are currently placed in an Ikea vase like this


which looks okay but not quite as chic as I had imagined. 

There has to be something more I could do with such a fabulous collection.  Plus our dining room is hurting for some wall decoration so I wouldn't mind if I could do something about that at the same time.  It was with idea in mind "matches + display x wall art = happy Tar Heel"  that I went on a search of the interwebs. And what did my little googling self find?  Inspiration!  <Cue the background choir of angels>


Man, I sure wouldn't mind having that banquet table as well.  Unfortunately I don't think I can make one of those out of matchbooks.  I don't even know if the wall art is actually matchbooks, but darn it, that's what it shall be in my house.  So I believe that will be my first project for 2012.  Wish me luck!

UPDATE:  You can see my finished product here!

No comments:

Post a Comment